1.17.2014

Fiber Frenzy Friday - Paper & Lace

I have been busy in the studio this week pulling sheets and beating pulps and I am going to share with you a beautiful, almost edible, creamy hued, vintage-esque sheet I created a couple of days ago.
   


I used a raw umber and yellow ochre pigmented pulp and and an old piece of lace.  I mixed the 2 colors of pulp on my mold and deckle to firstly form a thin sheet to put the lace onto.  I left it rather mushy and unpressed.  I then removed the mold (remember, the empty frame) from the deckle (the frame covered in screen/silkscreen) and laid the piece of cloth across the deckle and pulp so that it fell over the sides.  I then poured just the raw umber thinly over the top of that.


back of sheet detail
back of sheet detail

I love the way the paper thins and feathers allowing bits of lace to become more visible throughout.



sunlight shining through
1" lace edging

 
Peace, Love, and Handmade Paper,
Erin


No comments:

Post a Comment