12.17.2013

Motivational Monday - Word of the Day



Nuannaarpoq  


                                      -------   "the quality in taking extravagant pleasure in being alive"



This is an Alaskan word and one of my favorites.  I love language and interesting words. Do you?

Some words are like photographs to me.  They say "a photograph is worth a thousand words".  I say, it depends on the word.  I have listened to vernacular that makes photography unnecessary.  All one needs to do is close your eyes, lower those noir curtains, and listen.  Before you know it visions form and take shape.  Sugar plums dancing yet?

Doesn't television make us lazy to our own imaginations?  All television is is someone else's imagination made publicly shareable in a visual way.  To use your own imagination would mean things can constantly change and develop, and change again and morph.  How exciting!

Certain words motivate and inspire me to combine them with other words.  Isn't this how great novels, speeches, and poems are born?  Not only the meaning of a words gets me though.  I find the sound of a word or combination thereof and the way it rolls off the tongue or the way the mouth feels as the sound is accentuated.  As well, there are words that feel awkward and graceless as I spit them out.

I take extravagant pleasure in words and nuannaarpoq is one of them.


Peace, Love, and Handmade Paper,
Erin

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment