11.06.2013

Whimsy Wednesday - Laughter is the Best Medicine

 “Your sense of humor is one of the most powerful tools you have to make certain that your daily mood and emotional state support good health.”
~ Paul E. McGhee, Ph.D.



It's Whimsy Wednesday and I have been wondering what I was going to write about.  Halloween was just upon us and that had crossed my mind, but I changed it in the end.  What is the most
up front and in your face result of whimsy??? Laughter!!!



You know? That uncontrollable urge to giggle, guffaw, bellow, and bawl when you hear something silly or fun.  I read today that we are the only animal that does it.  Then my husband sarcastically replied, "What about the Laughing Hyena?".  I looked it up and it's actually called a "whoop" not a laugh, although it does have a similarity in sound.  This usually signals that the hyena doing the "whooping" is being chased or harassed.  In my opinion, no laughing matter.  ;)


 This little guy is sticking his tongue out at my husband right now and making that "pffft" sound.  :)-


Who could this little pack of hyenas be?  Ha! Yours truly on the left and my little sister Stephanie on the right.  She sometimes helps me make paper when I have large orders. She is awesome and we laugh quite often together.  Sisters and siblings alike are good for that.

  
Well god knows Mother Earth probably gets a kick quite often out of her own antics. If flowers are her laughter, I have passed a field or flower bed enough to know that she is amused quite often.  

BUT...Is laughter indeed medicine?  Some experts will argue and say there is no conclusive evidence that laughter is "cure anything", but a positive attitude and good sense of humor can be a significant booster in anyones day.

Others disagree and believe there are actual physical changes and effects that occur after laughter. Check out some of the benefits below.


The chart below is from www.helpguide.org.

The Benefits of Laughter
Physical Health Benefits:
  • Boosts immunity
  • Lowers stress hormones
  • Decreases pain
  • Relaxes your muscles
  • Prevents heart disease
Mental Health Benefits:
  • Adds joy and zest to life
  • Eases anxiety and fear
  • Relieves stress
  • Improves mood
  • Enhances resilience
Social Benefits:
  • Strengthens relationships
  • Attracts others to us
  • Enhances teamwork
  • Helps defuse conflict
  • Promotes group bonding
I feel an amazing difference in my day if I had a moment to chuckle to myself or share a giggle with a friend or discover unexpected humor in a serendipitous second.  

Remember to take time to smell the flowers and laugh knowing that Mother Earth is giggling with you!

Peace, Love, and Handmade Paper,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment